Gastric Bypass is a type of weight loss surgery that involves creating a small pouch from the stomach and connecting the newly created pouch directly to the small intestine. After gastric Bypass, ingested food will enter this small pouch in the stomach and then directly into the small intestine, bypassing most of the stomach and the first section of the small intestine.
A gastric sleeve is a surgical procedure for weight loss. This procedure is usually done laparoscopically, which involves the insertion of small instruments through multiple small incisions in the upper abdomen. During the laparoscopic gastric sleeve procedure, 80% of the stomach is removed, forming a long tubular pouch the size and shape of a banana.
Who Is a Candidate For These Surgeries?
In general, weight-loss surgeries may be an appropriate option for you if:
- Your body mass index is 35 or more (40 in the U.S).
- You have a serious weight-related health problems, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, or severe sleep apnea. In some cases, you may qualify for certain types of weight-loss surgery if your body mass index is between 30 and 34 and you have serious weight-related health problems.
What’s the Pre-Op process like?
- Although you might be pre-qualified for the Bariatric procedure if your BMI is higher than 35 and you have tried everything to lose weight, and it has been impossible, medical professionals must evaluate you before taking the next step.
- You will have virtual consultations with the following doctors:
- There is a $200 fee for these consultations. If you get cleared by them to have surgery we will begin the Medical Tourism Experience process!
What Happens After the Surgery?
Immediately after gastric bypass surgery, you may consume liquids, but not solid foods, while your stomach and intestines begin to heal. Then, you’ll follow a special eating plan to transition from liquids to pureed foods slowly. Later, you can eat soft foods and then move on to more solid foods, as the body can tolerate them.
What are the Benefits?
Bariatric Surgeries can provide long-term weight loss. The amount of weight you lose depends on the type of surgery and the change in your lifestyle habits. However, losing around 70% or even more of your excess weight may be possible within two years.
In addition to weight loss, gastric bypass surgery can improve or resolve conditions often associated with being overweight.
What’s the Cost
The average cost in the United States for a Gastric Bypass surgery is between $20,000 and $25,000 and for the Gastric Sleeve is between $14,000 and $18,000. In Colombia, the procedure is 30-50% less. We offer packages that include the procedure and accommodations.